The Wilberforce Red Cross Outpost & Historic House is the site of the first Red Cross Outpost Hospital in Ontario, as well as the first hospital of any kind in Haliburton County and its surrounding area. It was declared a National Historic Site of Canada in 2003.
The Red Cross Outpost opened in 1922 and was operated by live-in nurses until 1957. It then continued to serve various community and medical services until 1963.
Special events and displays related to Outpost and Community history are organized regularly by the Wilberforce Heritage Guild. Please visit the Gallery to view past examples and check the Events listing for upcoming activities.
The Historic House Museum is preserved, organized and operated by the Wilberforce Heritage Guild 1991®, a Volunteer Charitable Group and is owned and supported by the Municipality of Highlands East.
The building was designated as a National Historic Site in September 2003 by the Canadian Minister of Heritage, the Honourable Sheila Copps. At a ceremony on August 15, 2006 the National Historic Site plaque was unveiled.
July & August
Open Daily 11 – 4