Toronto’s First Post Office is operated by the Town of York Historical Society. The Society was born of the interest generated by the restoration of an historical block of buildings at Adelaide and George Streets, in downtown Toronto. These included the Bank of Upper Canada (1827), the De La Salle Building (1871), and Toronto’s First Post Office (1833). Many experts – architects, historians and curators – volunteered assistance during the restoration project. From this core group, the Town of York Historical Society was formed in February of 1983.
The Society now operates Toronto’s First Post Office as a museum, a National Historic Site and a post office.
Toronto’s First Post Office is an authorized full-service dealer for Canada Post. All current definitive and commemorative stamps are available. We also offer special philatelic services, including a pictorial cancel, a reproduction of Toronto’s first cancel (in red ink, as exclusively used by Toronto’s first Postmaster James Scott Howard), and US postage for return mail.