skip to Main Content

Henry of Pelham Family Estate Winery

DESCRIPTION

In the late 18th century, our great-great-great grandfather was deeded the land on which our winery sits. Fast forward six generations and we’re still on the family farm.

We named the winery Henry of Pelham after great-great-great grandpa’s son, Henry, who we think had a pretty dry sense of humour, nicknaming himself “Henry of Pelham” after a British Prime Minister. He was quite the entrepreneur, building an inn and tavern on the property and operating a toll road. He raised sheep. And grew grapes—some of the first to be planted in Canada. Our tasting room and wine store are in Henry’s carriage house.

In 1984, when our parents decided to replace Henry’s concord and Niagara grapevines with old world vinifera grapes, the Niagara wine scene hardly existed and there were a lot of naysayers—but we had done our homework. Heat scans proved we had the right conditions, and we bettered our chances by contouring the hills and installing drainage. At the time, we were one of only a few Niagara wineries to make premium wines from our own grapes.

 

Contact Information
Address:
1469 Pelham Rd., R.R. #1 L2R 6P7
Phone: 905.641.6970
Website:
Categories
Back To Top
×Close search
Search
X
X