Welcome to the Classic Theatre, our theatre is an intimate 250-seat auditorium built in 1926. Situated in Ontario’s Most Historic Town, Cobalt, the Classic Theatre is the only remaining theatre from the silver boom of the early 1900’s. The Classic Theatre hosted more than 70 events each year. Including theatre, music, comedy, dance and variety shows.
As the years went by, and most other live entertainment venues closed down, the Classic Theatre became the most popular movie house in the area. By endearing itself to the hearts and minds of local residents, the Classic Theatre is filled with decades of memories of popcorn and ten cent films.
In 1973, after 47 years as a community stage, cinema, and live entertainment venue, the Classic Theatre played The Last Picture Show and closed its doors. For twenty years it silently stood, a shell of its former glory, used for storage and destined for the fate of its predecessors.
In the fall of 1993, the Town of Cobalt, as part of their economic revitalization plan and in cooperation with the Provincial and Federal Governments, initiated a complete reconstruction effort for the theatre. With a vision of giving the Temiskaming Region a beautiful, modern and fully equipped artistic venue, the revitalization project was underway. Over the following six months, this dream was realized and surpassed. On June 4, 1994, the Classic Theatre held its gala opening, and the old theatre once again echoed with the sound of applause.
The Classic Theatre has been a CRA registered Charitable Organization since 2003. Donations to the theatre can be directed to specific or general uses. Donors to the Classic Theatre Cobalt will be issued official tax receipts. The Board of Directors gratefully acknowledges the generosity of many individual and corporate donors each year.